Have you woken up to find that your Solar PV system is no longer working, or is producing drastically less power than it was and have no idea what to do to fix it? At MTG Energy Solutions we get these types of calls all the time and are always happy to help.
So, here are some tips that can help you troubleshoot the next time you discover a problem with your Solar panels.
When you contact us our process is as follows:
Whilst on the phone or in our first initial contact we take 4 steps to get the information we need to help you.
1) Ask the customer to check everything is switched on, the AC isolators, the DC isolators the MCBs and the RCDs feeding the circuit. (Sometimes a breaker may have tripped, sometimes someone switched things off and forgot to switch back on again - usually if the customer has had a tradesman round to do some work).
2) Check on the inverter if there are any error messages, if so read them out so we can note them down.
3) Confirm whether the inverter is still under guarantee.
4) Ask the customer to send us photos of the inverter to include the data plate on the side of the inverter and a photo of the generation meter, or at least inform us of the make and model number of the inverter.
Solar panels are a big investment for anyone. So if your Solar panels break or have a drop in efficiency it can be a tough situation to be in. You may need Solar panel repair.
Many variables can cause a solar panel to produce less power than it could. This can range from birds nesting underneath the panels to Inverter problems. These are often hard to figure out without investing a lot of time into finding the problem.
At MTG Energy Solutions we provide Solar Panel Repair Services that are quick and easy!
We often get asked what the most common problem is that causes solar panels to break before people choose to invest in solar power. This is an understandable worry for people to have. If you plan on investing in something you what it to be successful and not break down further down the road.
Luckily for you at MTG we provide a cost-effective repair service that will get you back onto your feet. Solar panels might appear like Sci-fi technology that is so advanced it cant be fixed in a short amount of time. But this is not the case! MTG Energy Solutions have trained professionals that can assess exactly what is wrong with your broken solar panels and provide a solution immediately after.
If you would like to read more about some of the problems that can happen to your solar panels, click here to visit our blog page.
What we do when we get there
Once we have determined that everything is on but it's still not working, we usually arrange to go to the site to check it out. If your location is far away we may ask for a photo or the make and model of the unit.
This allows us to make sure we take with us an equivalent part to swap out should it come to that. This makes for an easy process so we can be done quickly without needing to make multiple trips.
Currently, our process at MTG is to go to the site, find out what the problem is, then quote the customer. Then order the parts and send one of our specially trained technicians to go fix it.
However, at further distances, there may be an added charge for going to the site. This can differ from project to project but long distances to cover can be quite costly if we are not aware of what needs doing. All the more reason to give us a call beforehand.
When we get to the site the fault could be one of 4 things:
1) Least common occurrence - Solar panels stop producing power completely. Are the solar panels still producing power? If not we need to determine why not and may require scaffolding to do so - this is usually only for the toughest of jobs and usually doesn't happen.
2) 3rd place - A faulty termination over time has finally come loose and burned out, we swap the burned-out part and re-terminate correctly.
3) 2nd most common occurrence - A faulty Solar Generation meter. In this case, we will remove the faulty generation meter and replace it with a new one.
4) Most common occurrence - Inverter has packed in and is no longer working. As with every piece of electronic equipment they will at some point stop working so we find the best solution for you. This could mean fixing a broken part or having to install a new one.
With our testing equipment, we have a procedure that we follow when on-site to quickly determine what the fault is. If we follow the model of turning up with all the possible spares we could, in 95% of cases, fix the fault on the day. This super speedy repair would also be of benefit to the customer who is losing money during every daylight moment.
For those 4 faults listed above unfortunately you, the customer, will not be able to diagnose themselves. In order to find a solution the next time, you will need our training, expertise and super-duper test equipment.
If you have problems with your Solar Panels and you are not sure how best to fix them, give us a call at 0115 888 2777
Solar Panels Not Working?
Don’t worry. Whether they are simply out of action, or are producing drastically less power than before, there’s a good chance that your solar PV panels are entirely fixable.
Before we get into the nitty-gritty, there are a couple of quick checks you can do yourself which could solve the problem instantly:
- Check all the power switches, including the AC and DC isolators. If they’re off, flick ‘em on.
- Check the MCB (Micro Circuit Breaker) and RCD (Residual-Current Device) trip switches. The breakers may have tripped for whatever reason - usually if a tradesman has been round to do some work. Again, if they’re off, flick ‘em on.
- “Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - sorry to be that guy, but it might just do the trick. Turn all the switches off, leave them for 30 seconds, and then turn them back on again.
Beyond that, it’s going to require a trained and experienced technician to troubleshoot the problem and provide the appropriate fix. We STRONGLY recommend that you don’t attempt any technical fixes yourself; working with high-voltage electrical equipment comes with obvious risks. Plus, by attempting solar DIY, you could end up nullifying your panel’s warranty coverage.
Here to help
It just so happens that we have the training, expertise and super-duper test equipment to diagnose the problem. Give us a call on 0115 888 2777 - it’s free. We’ll run you through everything and figure out what’s going on with your solar panels.
And better yet, we can fix them for you.
We’ll arrange for our engineer to visit your site, assess the problem, and make the fix. You’ll be made aware of any potential costs before you agree to anything. Once we’ve diagnosed the problem, and you’ve given us the go-ahead, we’ll have your solar panels up and running in no time at all.
Common Solar Panel Problems
In our many years of doing this, we’ve seen the same kinds of problems with solar panels crop up time and time again. Here are some of the most common:
1. The inverter has packed in and is no longer working
This is the most common cause of solar panels no longer working. As with every piece of electrical equipment, an inverter will simply stop working after an extended period of time. It will just need replacing.
2. A faulty solar generation meter
It might be that the solar meter is unable to read solar energy production correctly. Again, this is something that happens over time - usually due to the technology becoming obsolete.
For example, solar meters that were built using the 2G standard will no longer work in 4G/5G areas.
Whether it’s outdated software, a software glitch, or malfunctioning hardware, it’s an easy fix. We’ll simply replace it with a meter that is up-to-date with the most current cellular protocols.
3. A faulty termination
Over time, a termination may come loose and burn out. We can swap the burned-out part and re-terminate correctly.
4. Broken panels
In the worst-case scenario, the solar panels themselves may be damaged, causing them to produce little or no power. But fear not - we’ll get up there and sort it out.
Let’s fix your solar panels
If it’s one of the above scenarios, or literally anything else, we’ll quickly get to the root of the problem and get things back on track. There’s no need for you to be without solar power for any longer than necessary.
Call us today on 0115 888 2777 for a free solar panel troubleshoot.